We hesitate about sharing our Intel on cakes in Kampala. Sharing our hard-earned knowledge, we fear, will lead you to our favorite confectioners, alas fewer cakes for us. But since we feel that good work never should be wasted, herewith the Best of Cakes Top 5 by Kampalala!
1. For the best cheesecake, go to Cafesserie (Acacia Mall) for lovely blueberry, wild berry or strawberry cheesecake, or to Karveli for strawberry or chocolate cheesecake on Plot 2, Lumumba Avenue, opposite the Danish Embassy. The Danes are already a happy bunch, but now you know why those embassy folks are the happiest of all! We will write soon more about Karveli. Their German bread, French pastry and Italian gelato are pretty awesome too.
2. Dutch apple pie lovers should go to BBROOD (Kisemente: The Kurb, Bugalobi Village Mall, Muyenga: Tank Hill Road, entrance Garden City Mall, Entebbe Victoria Mall). We love to take a slice or two home and eat it with whipped cream.
3. For the best assortment of cakes, visit La Patisserie (Acacia Mall, next to the parking garage entrance at the Kisemente side).
4. Chocolate cake lovers should march over to Café Javas (Bombo Road, Namirenbe Road, Oasis Mall, Kira Road, Nakawa, Entebbe Victoria Mall, Kampala Road, Gargen House) for the Brownie Indulgence or Fudge Obsession. If you need to score with the crowd at home, bring some brownies or a slice of the red velvet cake. Cafesserie (Acacia Mall) has very nice chocolate cakes as well! We also love their three layers chocolate mousse - to share; otherwise you will not be able to move for an hour or two!
5. We are currently investigating the case of the best carrot cake of Kampala. Please drop us a line, if you know where to get it!